Take a trip with WGEM SportsCenter host Josh Houchins, as he recaps the weekend in his own weird way…
* Congratulations, LeBron James, you just presented the public and fans of the NBA with a reason to question your greatness. Like it or not, but by not simply shaking the hands of the winning team this weekend you looked like a baby.
* I have the Magic in five. Will I be wrong? Probably. But I feel like being different. I really feel J.J. Redick needs an NBA title to cement his plaque in the Basketball Hall of Fame.
* The NBA Line of the Week goes to one of the ESPN SportsCenter guys who said “Dwight Howard’s shoulders have shoulders.” Great line. He is right there with Karl Malone and Anthony Mason in the category of huge shoulders.
* Say it ain’t so, Rafeal! Say it ain’t so! Now I’m not going to watch any of the French Open.
* Watched The Wrestler this weekend and was shocked. Not by the movie itself, but by how much grief Mickey Rourke gave the cast and that only two cameras were used during shooting. It is the only movie where I have really enjoyed the “extra footage” that is added to the DVD. After watching that, I am really surprised that film was even made. Oh, and the movie was pretty cool, too.
Yes! Not prego!
* Thank goodness Gisele (left) is not knocked up by husband Tom Brady. I don’t want her to get all pregnanty and fat.
* Small note for Hendrick Motorsports: If you want a driver who can win you need to fire Dale Earnhardt, Jr. If you want a guy who can sell a ton of merchandise and finish every race middle of the pack you need to stick to Junior. But let’s not make the cousin/crew chief the scapegoat.
* Three managers will be remembered most from this era in baseball: Joe Torre, Tony La Russa, and Bobby Cox. And if Torre can win a title in L.A., he could go down as the most popular manager of all time.
* Did anybody see the crazy incident at the MTV Movie Awards Sunday night? Sasha Baron Cohen, or Borat to most people, was dressed as his latest character while falling from the rafters in an outfit that bared his cheeks. When he fell into the audience, he landed face down in Eminem’s lap — his cheeks in the rapper’s face. Then it became awkward with people shoving and a lot of words being bleeped out. I really could not tell if it was staged or not.
* The Red Wings can be easily compared to the Yankees from the mid ’96-00. They are deeper than other teams with an awesome mixture of veterans and rookies. And they can be hated just the same.
* This dude is tall.
They act a lot like the Yankees
* Nothing like getting a sun burn to start the weekend. And why does all suntan lotion smell like bananas? Or maybe it’s just my suntan lotion from 1986.
* While reading my Newsweek magazine
this weekend, I came across this nugget about Iran. According to the magazine, a sportscaster — Adel Ferdosipour — is the 19th Most Powerful Person in Iran. Talk about pressure.
* Most see action tonight … on The Tonight Show with Conan O’Brien. Pearl Jam, the greatest band today … and of all time, will be the first musical act on the show. I’m as giddy as a little school girl.
* Hurray! The puppets of LeBron and Kobe are gone! The voices didn’t sound close to their actual voices. Was that on purpose?
* And finally, it’s Tyler Tomlinson’s last week of manhood. One of the remaining lucky non-married few in the sports realm at WGEM is going by the wayside. I am saddened by our loss.
Posted under Sports
This post was written by jhouchins on June 1, 2009