* Mike Anderson is an easy guy to root on. I understand the ending of the Mizzou/Marquette game wasn’t how many hoped it would end, but the couch played it exactly right. He pushed every button (grabbing Kim English, shown at right, to shoot free throws) that would mean his team could win the weekend. Did Quinn Snyder ever do that? No. Did Norm push the right buttons a majority of the time? In the Big Dance it seemed to backfire late in his coaching career. Anderson needs to be in Columbia for a long time.
* My WGEM SportsCenter bracket on ESPN.com says I have 13 of 16 teams remaining. Not too bad. Really needed Michigan to upset Oklahoma and USC to knockoff Michigan State, though. Didn’t get that lucky.
* The commercials during Opening Weekend were awesome. From the ones done by the NCAA to the Vitamin Water (I think?) regarding Christian Laettner and Rick Pitino were great. My favorite has to be the Syracuse factory with nobody named Ray, or even Raymond, working there.
* LESSON OF THE WEEKEND: Never eat Doritos and Funyuns within the same two-hour span. Holy crap … the breath could kill an elephant.
* Here is a list of the guys I have enjoyed watching through two rounds:
- Marcus Thornton, LSU — Stud nobody has heard of.
- Ben Woodside, North Dakota State — True, fun-loving player.
- Sam Young, Pitt — I know he’s a nationwide stud, but he NEVER gets mentioned when speaking of the Panthers.
- Orlando Mendez-Valdez — I just like the name.
- Jajuan Johnson — Freak.
* Is anybody else tired of hearing President Obama’s picks updated each and everyday on SportsCenter? I like our new prez, but I don’t want to hear an update. I even liked the initial bracket he did. Just leave it alone unless he picks the overall winner.
* So … Kobe Bryant received chants of “MVP” while playing the Bulls AT THE UNITED CENTER. That has to be the first time “MVP” has been chanted near Chicago since Don O’Brien held the “Andres Nocioni for MVP Parade” on November 30th each year in downtown Galesburg.
* PARADE NOTE: Joey Range was in charge of daycare all day.
* Who is the new monotone guy on SportsCenter? Jonathan Coachman? Wow…
* The WGEM SportsZone Bet Board claimed another victim. WGEM SportsCenter producer Broc Hampsmire (left) has to shave his head (or buzz) as he proclaimed that not a single Big Ten team would make the Sweet 16. Tyler Tomlinson took him up on it and it was a smart bet. I hope Broc doesn’t have an odd shaped head or a weird birthmark in the shape of Whistler’s Mother. (If you get that reference post a comment below)
* I’m addicted to Google Maps.
* The biggest pinball wizard? This clip is awesome.
* And finally, wow, what a high school basketball season. The girls outdid themselves once again. What’s fun about high school basketball is there is always a player that absolutely shocks you. A freshman from Philadelphia, Missouri (heck, maybe she actually lives in Benbow!) comes away from the state tournament with a record of her own. I love warm weather, but I will miss talking winter basketball.
Posted under Sports
This post was written by jhouchins on March 23, 2009